Placing a feeding tube directly into the stomach.

Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim
Assalamu alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu

I had a busy week with Muja, alhamdulillah. There was nothing bad happen, Alhamdulillah, just the normal things that happen to a special needs child like her.

On Monday, she had an appointment referred by her dietician and speech pathologist to see a pediatric at The Center of Cerebral Palsy for discussing her option of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG). It is a procedure for placing a feeding tube directly into the stomach through a small incision in the abdominal wall using an instrument known as an endoscope.

Since she was born she can't swallow the foods because she has no control of her muscles. She has been nasogastric tube feed since then. Alhamdulillah, with the tube feeding she has no big problem with her respiratory. Sometime she has wheezy breathing but can be control with Ant Tart, a homeopathic remedy.

She is not receiving enough nutrition from oral feeding. Alhamdulillah, she gets all her nutrition through her tube feeding. She is taking Pediasure formula with added vitamins and minerals. She also takes supplement vitamins which was recommended by her Naturopath. She is healthy and growing. The only problem would be her breathing although it is not major. She must be feeling uncomfortable of the tube in her nose and down her throat.

I am OK with PEG feeding for her better breathing, but her father thought that it is unnecessary on her since her respiratory is not big problem. When she was 9 months, she has been recommended for PEG but I agreed with my husband not to do that because we thought she can be oral fed by now.

Now she is nearly four and can takes up to 10 teaspoons food when in her good mood. When I push her more, she might vomit and the chance for the food to get into her lungs can create respiratory problem. Basically she does not get enough calories from oral feeding only.

One of the carer at Muja school told me that her oral feeding is improving. She said that her swallowing is getting better. It is good new that someone else noticed her, although I know Muja is getting better everyday but on her own time. I hope she will keep progressing rapidly on her oral intake.

I am in dilemma, whether to keep her nasogastric tube for feeding or placing a feeding tube directly into her stomach. I don't know. Should I give her more time and wait? May be I should! Meanwhile I will do istikharah. May Allah guide us to what ever good for us, Ameen.

Comments