Aromatherapy and home remedies for cold and flu

Muja's classmate has flu symptoms yesterday. I hope he has the common flu and I make doa that it is not the swine flu. Today she didn't go to school because the Education Assistants for her class have training today.

When she woke up this morning her body is cold and she had a runny nose. I made salty water and put a couple of drops in each of her nostrils. Alhamdulillah it made her nose dry. You can always buy Saline Spray/Drop at chemist if you don't bother to make one.

Here is the recipe to make Salt water drops if you interested to make one yourself which I took from Do Bugs Need Drugs? Parent Guide: Cold / Runny Nose. It cost you nothing.
Salt Water Drops
125 ml warm water
¼ tsp table salt

* Mix well.
* Prepare fresh every day.
* Position child so that head is slightly back.
* Use a medicine dropper to put 1 - 2 drops in each nostril.
* Repeat 4 to 5 times per day.

I made a lemonade to boost Muja with vitamin C to fight her cold and flu mixed with honey to soothe her sore throat.

Here is a recipe to make Hot Honey Lemonade

* 1 tablespoon of honey
* 1 cup boiling hot water
* 1 fresh lemon

In a mug, combine the honey and hot water and stir until the honey is dissolved. Squeeze the lemon and stir in the lemon juice.

You can also treat cold and flu with aromatherapy. Common cold is cause by viral infection so I use the essential oils that are anti-viral.

I diffuse 2 tablespoon of water with 2 drops eucalyptus, 5 drops lavender and 3 drops tea tree of essential oils using oil burner to help alleviate and disinfect dry air passages in her room.

I put a drop of lavender and tea tree in a bowl of warm water. I use the water to wash Muja with a face towel. Alhamdulillah Muja has no fever. A warm bath with 5 drops of essential oils mixed with 1/4 cup of epsom salt can help relieve fever. Peppermint, lavender, sage or rosemary are some essential oils for relieving fevers in a bath.

After her wash I applyed chest rub on her chest, throat and back with the chest rub which I made using beeswax and cocoa butter. It is also containing decongestant essential oils.

I gave her Aconite, a homeopathic remedy for cold and flu. Now she is fast asleep.

Please make dua for Muja. I ask Allah to cure her, Ameen.

Comments